The vacuum coating revolution
The vacuum coating revolution
Contact Peter Raeven
e-mail: [email protected]
tel: +31 77 467 35 55
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Technical consultant for feed, aqua feed and petfood production at Dinnissen Process Technology
Peter Raeven has been involved with vacuum coating technology for many years. He has been keeping an eye on its development ever since its introduction. His technical know-how and experience the fields of feed, aqua feed and petfood make him a leading expert on the subject of vacuum coating. Recently he was asked to write an article about it for Feed Planet Magazine where he answered the following questions:
- What is vacuum coating?
- How does it work?
- What are the benefits?
- What are the Dinnissen vacuum coating solutions?
On this page you will find Peter's answers to these questions. You can download the original publication in Feed Planet Magazine by clicking here.
What is vacuum coating?
What does it do?
Vacuum coating is a processing technique that can be used to add value to your product. It allows producers in the feed, aqua feed and petfood industry to drastically improve the quality and characteristics of their products. This is done by adding functional additives such as enzymes, vitamins and drugs, end of line. By using vacuum coating technology, these additives penetrate homogeneously into the entire pellet. This results in better, more nutritious feed and (pet)food, healthier animals, and less emissions.
Click through the images below to learn how the vacuum coating process works in just a couple of minutes.
How does it work?
The magic of Pegasus® Vacuum Coating explained
- The process starts with your product being fed into a Pegasus® Vacuum Coater in atmospheric conditions.
- Then the vacuum unit creates a vacuum environment in the mixing unit.
- The Pegasus® Vacuum Coater gently suspends ingredients homogeneously in the air, in vacuum conditions.
- Whiles this happens precisely predetermined quantities of liquids can be sprayed onto the powders, pellets or granules.
- When air is then allowed to enter the mixing unit, the liquids are evenly distributed deeply into each particle. The ingredients being sucked deep into the particles through the vacuum, also has the effect of protecting them against crumbling.
- After this step, additional layers of top coatings or aromas are applied to each particle, which results in a high-quality extruded product.
- Often a thin layer of fat is applied to the granular feed material. This extra protective layer makes the material more elastic so that it breaks or crumbs less quickly.
- All this is done very fast, the entire batch process takes just a couple of minutes!
Do you want to know how this process could improve your products? Please feel free to contact one of our specialists without any obligation.
Benefits of vacuum coating
Better products, healthier animals, less impact on the environment
- Based on the proven Pegasus® Mixer: reliable, gentle, fast and homogeneous mixing
- Better, more nutritious feed, aqua feed, petfood
- Energy-rich, non-sticky, and good running granules
- Strong pellet, no dust, fewer recalls
- Improved efficiency and conversion
- Lower energy need for production
- Possibility of adding components ‘end-of-line’
- Less odor emission, fat/oil is not overheated
- Highly accurate feeding, weighing and liquid dosing
- No contamination and hygienic design for fast and easy cleaning
- Suitable for fragile and extruded products
- Optimum quality, safety and homogeneity of product
Many premium brands in petfood, feed and aqua feed markets are using our Pegasus® Vacuum Coater to improve the quality of their products. Are you curious to find out what the benefits could be for your specific products? Please feel free to contact one of our specialists without any obligation.
Our product range
Click through our our vacuum coating solutions
Dinnissen solutions are tailored to specific applications. That is why we have a wide range of Pegasus® Vacuum Coaters available, to suit a wide range of applications. Whether you need a small vacuum coater for use in a laboratory, or a extra large vacuum coater capable of handling 3000l per batch, Dinnissen can build the optimal solution for your specific requirements.
- Production capacity of up to 30 t/h per unit.
- Batch sizes from 10 up to 3000 l/batch.
- Low coefficient of variation.
- Various options to improve accessibility, such as extra large inspection hatches.
- Various cleaning options (such as CIP).
- Fitted with vacuum tight exclusion valves that have a FDA-approved type seal, developed exclusively by Dinnissen.
Do you want more information about our vacuum coating solutions? Please feel free to contact one of our specialists without any obligation.
WE'RE TAKING YOUR PRODUCTS QUALITY AND OUR SERVICE TO THE NEXT LEVEL
See how our experts are installing one of our Pegasus® Vacuum Coaters in the video below: